Thank you for your interest in March 4th, Inc. and our brands.
Please read all of the information and instructions below and then click the “Submit” button to create your account and send your manuscript to us.
The common denominators.
All of the manuscripts that we select involve conveying meaningful messages to children or youth. They catalyze conversations between parents and children, teachers and students, about the topics that matter most to the generation of children we are shaping today. The manuscripts are well written, thought-provoking, progressive, fresh, distinctive, and, if a picture book, lend themselves well to not only illustration but also to extrapolation into other mediums, such as interactive eBooks, book apps, and animated shorts.
The heart of the matter.
At present, we are most interested in receiving middle grade and young adult submissions. What subjects are most interesting to us at this point? They include (in no particular order and not exclusively):
- Kindness—the power of it
- Dare To Be Different
- Choices: It’s Not All Black And White; Most of Life is Gray
- Racism—the deleterious effects of it
- Complex Family Structures
- Anti-Princess Themes
- Creativity—the importance of it, fostering it, etc.
- Leadership and/or Entrepreneurship
- Divergent (vs. Convergent) Thinking
- Systems Thinking
- Responsibility/Accountability/Moving Beyond Gen M Thinking
- Taking Care of Yourself and Your Community/Planting the Seeds of Being a Locavore
What we don’t want are books with hidden messages to grownups. We want books that convey true messages to children and youth. It is also worth mentioning that we do not shy away from controversial subjects, and we are open-minded about the genres and literary vehicles employed to convey the messages.
How to format your manuscript.
The AUTHORS.me form-building process allows you to attach your first three chapters and full manuscript to your submission. Please follow the guidelines below to make the review process go smoothly:
- Your document should be prepared as a MS Word document;
- Save your file as a .doc, .txt or .pdf format;
- The document should be double-spaced with paragraphs indented (not tabbed);
- Use Times Roman (or similar serif font) at 12 point throughout the entire document;
- Put your suggested title, word count and draft version on a title page
- Number the pages (bottom-right preferred);
- Margins should be one inch on top, bottom, and both sides;
- Do not include any headers or footers in your document;
- Use the spell and grammar check features in MS Word before sending us your manuscript.
What to include.
AUTHORS.me gathers quite a bit of information in its forms to help us determine if you are a good fit for our company. All the information is important to us, so please be thorough in your submission. We will take careful consideration of what you have created and who you are as a writer, as both are equally as important to us. Please note: if you have any updates or edits to your submission after you send it, simply return to your forms and make the changes and they will appear at our end.
Our selection process.
Once you’ve selected “Submit,” you will be redirected to AUTHORS.me to sign up (there is no charge) and begin the submissions process. Your submission will be sent directly to our staff for review.
Once we receive your submission, our First Reader designated for the target age range of your work reads it within four months and sends the acquisition team his or her preliminary thoughts. If the First Reader has a favorable opinion of the manuscript, then we have another member of the acquisition team read it. If the second member of the acquisition team likes it, then we have a Junior Reader (a reader in the intended age group) read it. If the Junior Reader likes the manuscript, then it gets presented during the next acquisition meeting. If at any point during our process, a team member thinks that the work is not a good fit for us, then we let you know.
As you consider submitting your manuscript, please learn a little more about March 4th, Inc. and our imprints, Little Pickle Stories (0-10 years old), Big Dill Stories (11-14 years old), and Relish Stories (15+). Consider liking Little Pickle Stories, Big Dill Stories, and Relish Stories on Facebook. Please also consider following @LP_Stories, @BigDillStories, and @RelishStories on Twitter and Instagram.
We understand the need for multiple submissions to sell your work, however we need to know this up front. If you are soliciting other publishers, please mention this in the “Why I Am A Good Fit” question during your submission process. Also, please inform us immediately if your work is contracted elsewhere so that we may remove the manuscript from consideration. Multiple submissions from a single author are also acceptable, though we ask that one novel is sent per submission.
Illustrators interested in working with us should submit digital portfolios and website URLs to [email protected]
All work must be original, and not have appeared elsewhere unless all rights have reverted back to the author.
- Established authors with print works and no digital contract are welcome to submit. Please include your publishing history in the fields provided in your forms.
Again, thank you for your interest in March 4th, Inc. If you elect to send us a submission, thank you also for considering us as your publisher. We know all that you have gone through to get to this point, and we respect and honor you for it.
Questions? Contact [email protected]